Last Updated on
Panting defines the stories of pain, sorrow, joy or love! And colors are the heart of painting.
I wish If I were a color of the rainbow! Ah, it will be fun, no?
There is a proverb that artists are the God of color. They can play with their emotions with colors.
In the world of color, the best watercolor pencils that gives freedom to your creativity!
No hassle of sharpening and save of time!
The watercolor pencils can provide firm techniques that pen besides tubes do not offer. These types of colors are better to apply strong marks for better drawings.
And that is the reason why so many artists prefer watercolor pencils. You can also Read my Colored Pencils Guide.
Here, I’m going to tell you how to get the best-colored pencils for artists. Also, I’ll include a few of the excellent functioning watercolors available right now in the market.
Stay with me till the end of this watercolor pencils review to nail more!
- 1 Five Best Watercolor Pencils – Comparison Table and Review
- 1.1 1. Prismacolor Premier Watercolor Pencil
- 1.2 2. Derwent Drawing Inktense Watercolor
- 1.3 3. Caran d’Ache Neocolor Watercolor
- 1.4 4. Professional Premium numbered 72 Colored Pencils
- 1.5 5. Arteza Professional Watercolor Pencils
- 2 How to Choose the Best Watercolor Pencil
Five Best Watercolor Pencils – Comparison Table and Review
|Prismacolor Premier||36 Colors||Watercolor||Yes|
|Derwent Drawing Inktense||36 Colors||Watercolor||Yes|
|Caran d'Ache Neocolor||40 Colors||Watercolor||Yes|
|Professional Premium||72 Colors||Watercolor||Yes|
|Arteza Professional||72 Colors||Watercolor||Yes|
1. Prismacolor Premier Watercolor Pencil
The Prismacolor watercolor pencil is a top choice for artists these days. To create a shimmering effect, the water-soluble cores are present. You get a smooth lay-down whenever you paint. The colors look bright and richly saturating which makes the picture more living.
You can use the color both dry and wet, so very convenient. Also with thirty-six premium watercolor choice, you can have more variety and experimenting experience. The water takes less time to mix and also the consistency is pretty good.
Overall, it is a good pick for anyone who loves to draw.
- Covered in a convenient metal tin.
- Pencils are sharpened previously.
- Easy to mix.
- A lot of color option.
- Vivid and smooth enough.
- Inexpensive for artists.
- Gives a shimmering effect.
- The colors are bright.
- The only bad thing is the wood labels. But it can be neglected.
2. Derwent Drawing Inktense Watercolor
The Derwent watercolor pencils are also a quite popular choice among artists who crave for bold, expressive drawing. The colors are pigmenting and laid-back to apply. The finish is vibrant and rich in brightness. It also offers thirty-six different color shades that are perfect for any concept.
The colors are usable both dry and wet. Also the time it takes to dry is comparatively less. The permanent colors are great for fabric painting.
There is an option to modify the requirements depending on the purpose. To be extra creative, you can mix the shades and customize a different shade.
- Gives a very nice coverage.
- Spreads evenly on the page.
- The blending is perfect.
- The packaging is quite lovely.
- A lot of variety experiment is possible with the colors.
- Looks rich and Vivian enough.
- A bit waxy.
3. Caran d’Ache Neocolor Watercolor
With the Caran colors, you can add a lot of effects to your precious artworks. There are forty colors in the collection set which plays a decent role in providing fine texture. The brand is known to offer excellent colors for more than eighty years.
You can paint on different materials. Starting from paper, glass, fabric and what not. The coverage is mind-blowing and leaves a smooth and even drawing. You can use them both dry and wet with no lack of dedicating results.
The neo colors are an excellent choice to opt for, no matter what if you are a once in a while artist or a serious one.
- Using them is fun and.
- This Neocolors are good for acrylic drawings.
- The lay down is smooth and creamy.
- Color set up is vibrant and bright.
- Can be used on dry papers straightly.
- Gives the most in-depth coverage to drawings.
- The small set doesn’t include any salmon shade.
4. Professional Premium numbered 72 Colored Pencils
Get this watercolor pencil from Professional if you are looking for an oil core but richly pigmented paint. The pencils are available pre-sharpened, and also it can be used for sketch drawing.
The delicate colors allow for perfect shading and to get the variety you can try blending them. Also, the picture seems bright enough.
The painting is even and smooth. There are seventy-two vibrant colors available to inspire your artistic feel. All the shades come in three nice looking trays for better convenience and ease of use. Also, it could be the perfect gift for your art-loving friend.
- A complete set to start with.
- Pre-sharpened pencil set.
- The layout is smooth.
- Nontoxic core.
- Three trays to add convenience.
- Doesn’t include a sharpener.
5. Arteza Professional Watercolor Pencils
The watercolor pencil set from Arteza is a great tool to add more depth to your masterpieces. You can use the colors for blending, layering and what not. To add extra drama to your canvas, you can try the colors and apply different effects.
The pigmentation is nice and rich in vibrancy.
There are seventy-two shades available to give you the freedom you need for creativity. The pencils are soft and have break-free cores. The light-fast pigment doesn’t fade too quick which is very lovely.
The case that holds the color is suitable for carrying and gives enough protection. Overall it is a good quality watercolor pencil set to get for kids, teens and also adults.
- Nontoxic pencils, so safe for kids.
- Ideal for carrying since comes with a case.
- A comfortable grip included.
- The six sides wooden case provides a better fit.
- A few colors are too dry but can be fixed with more water.
How to Choose the Best Watercolor Pencil
After swallowing up our watercolor pencils review, you are in the important section of our article.
Watercolor is a recent type of coloring tool. To find the perfect type of watercolor pencil you need to consider a few points. Here are a few of them.
See at a Glance, How to look like the watercolors
Dry and Wet Usage:
The colors should be usable both dry and wet. Your paintings might need a particular type of coverage, and that depends on the concept you have. So it is best to choose a watercolor pencil that is capable of providing the suitability.
A decent watercolor pencil set should give you excellent coverage. Anything that feels dull and shady isn’t good. You should be a bit picky here. A few conceptual drawing might look nice with the dullness. However, sometimes it will dissatisfy the whole purpose of drawing.
Easy To Carry:
A watercolor pencil set that fits in your pouch is the most suitable one. An artist doesn’t have a specific routine if drawing. He or she might get in a mood anywhere anytime. Also, it is good to have a tool suitable to take outdoors and paint when there is water available.
Gives A Good Collection:
A watercolor pencil set collection should have a good range of shades available. Because when you draw you need more suitable shades to match the aura and anything less can be annoying and demotivating. So check for that!
Frequently Asked Questions
Top 4 Production Company of watercolor pencils
There are more than a few Company who have an excellent reputation for providing broad and coverage watercolor pencil collections. A few of them also offer nice price range which feels light on the purse.
- Prismacolor: Prismacolor is a well-known brand that provides a bunch of sets at a good price range. The pigmentation and vibrancy the offer is unmatchable. Most frequently they are the top choice for most of the artist.
- Derwent: Derwent is also a reputed watercolor pencil provider that have a bunch of nice sets to offer. If you are looking for bright and eye-popping shades than you might want to see the collection they have.
- Caran d’Ache: There is also Caran d’Ache Classic, one of the oldest in the industry. They are really reliable and always trying to provide more colors and shade options to match the artist’s concept.
- Arteza: You might have heard the name of the Professional brand that are an excellent choice for beginners. They have some nice set of colors available. Arteza is another brand that is good for both pro and beginners. No matter what brand you choose, you should be careful about the features.
Watercolor pencils must be kept with great carefulness, safely in spots where there are least chances of water damage. Using watercolor pencil is comfortable to learn and even leisurely to practice because the materials are promptly available in the market at reasonable rates. The best watercolor pencils can make your canvas look more vibrant and full of life. So choose wisely.
In both Pencils have a huge difference, Know about Watercolor Pencils vs Colored Pencils